Wednesday 19 June 2013

HP N54L Microserver and Ubuntu - Part one

I got a Microserver today, HP have £100 cashback offer and I also got free delivery making the price (after cashback) an amazing £85.94.

I didn't need a new server, I'm using an old Pentium 4  3GHZ desktop for a server, two previous servers went the way of the warrior after some pretty hefty thunderstorms.

Anyway, the hard drive still soldiers on, in it's third system, the P4 runs fine, it's just running all the time and every now and then the fans ramp up as it does some work then drop again and I thought it would be nice to get my linux server in a nice case.

Although I found one company £2 cheaper I used a code MSFREENDUK to get free next day delivery saving £6.95.

I got mine from ServersPlus
http://www.serversplus.com/servers/tower_servers/hp_tower_servers/704941-421
There is a model with a Samsung DVD-RW included for £13 more so thinking on it I should have got that but I noticed the local PC World has a DVD-RW for £19 so including VAT I'm only paying something like £2.40 more.

Anyway, ordering was really simple, a couple of hours later I notice it says despatched.

I checked this morning, there's a direct link to the courier DPD and their web link said the parcel will be delivered between 13:04 and 14:04 - it arrived at 13:15.

Pretty spot on for service so I'm happy to say these people offered a no fuss 100% spot on service and I've already recommended them to 2 work mates.

If you need a DVD-RW then buying it with one in will save you getting the power and data cables, I had these already but if you need to buy them then you will probably save £10 overall buying with the DVD-RW built in.




Nice lockable door, 4 x USB on the front and the Optical drive bay.


Drive bays x 4, for SATA drives, similar to higher end Proliant server drive cages, press the catch on the bottom and a handle pops up.


Standard VGA connector, 2 x PCI-E and others.


7 x USB, eSATA on the rear, should be plenty of connectivity.


Open the front door and there's a row of screws for the hard drives, ones in silver are for the optical drive, there's also an allen key whichc I've removed from the photo but this clips into the front panel as well - a nice touch.



Here's my Sata Data and power cables, next stop PC World for a DVD-RW and then it's time to get the penguin running.

Most likely I'm going to put the hard drive in from my old server and power up, if the kernel is OK then linux will be fine, I shouldn't need to do a full install.

More on this later and if I'll be eating Humble pie or not.

1 comment:

  1. I've just bought one as a Mediaportal server. Thanks for the heads up about power cables.. I hadn't even considered that.

    ReplyDelete