Wednesday 16 April 2014

HTC Desire C - Smashing Time

Swings and Smart phones don't seem to mix, my daughter returned home nursing some bruises and a slightly destroyed HTC Desire C.

 

Amazingly if I pressed the power button it still had a good image and the touch screen still worked.

It was not the most ideal touch screen unless your a blind masochist (apologies to any blind masochists who might disagree).
After pulling a couple of glass slivers out my hand I ordered a digitizer screen from Ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Touch-Screen-Digitizer-Glass-Lens-New-Replacement-for-HTC-Desire-C-A320E-/190992259845?pt=UK_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2c78069b05

For £7.99 it was worth a shot, worst case it was beyond all hope, best case - it might be salvaged.

Delivery was great, ordered on Sunday Morning and it was delivered Tuesday Morning - nice and speedy.

The kit contained a nicely packaged digitizer with the HTC branding etc on it, a pair of small screw drivers and some case splitters (Spudgers), for they money it was impressive so far.

I had already dismantled the phone to check the main screen and get things ready for the repair, there are plenty of guides on YouTube showing how to do this and I've already got plenty of tools and case splitters for laptop repairs etc.

The kit even comes with a new double sided sticky mask which you can put on the old case and attach the new screen - they thought of everything, the only problem I had was removing the old glue, I found a handy fax cleaning kit I've had lying around for years, this has quite a powerful cleaning solvent, it was perfect to soften the glue enough to remove with cotton buds but not powerful enough to damage the casing.

I also cleaned the front shroud which forms an edge around the touch screen, this is also stuck with double sided tape, sometimes it can be hard to remove so warming with a hair dryer is the trick.

The new screen dropped into position a small amount of double sided tape to hold the data cable flat against the rear of the main screen and it was all in and hooked up in about 20 minutes.

All in all, really impressed with the value for money, it was a fiddly task, mainly due to the time it took to peel the old adhesive off, unfortunately that's a task you need to do well, if you leave a small amount you get a bump in the finished product so knowing that I cleaned and cleaned until I knew I had a perfectly clean case.

The replacement screen fitted so perfectly there are no gaps or problems, it looks every bit as good as the original, I then put some double sided tape on the inside of the shroud and popped that back in place.

A fully repaired phone - including original strip down (about 20-30 minutes), about an hour to clean the damn original glue and crap off and about 20-30 minutes to re-assemble it cost nothing more than time.

Thought it well worth a mention on here, I'll certainly use these again if I need a screen.

 

One repaired phone later (I've put a screen protector on)

No comments:

Post a Comment