Friday 16 April 2010

Going nowhere ...



Here's the real time flight information for UK and Europe 9:30 am on April 16th.
Whilst on my way to work I was hit by a frozen Pizza, 4 lasagne meals and a tub of ice cream - I found out it was fall out from Iceland.

It's very strange to look up and see no vapour trails at all or any sign of planes apart from military essentials or one person power gliding.

Obviously the point of canceling the flights is to prevent the odd plane plummeting 25,000 feet with an engine full of hardened glass so it's not a bad decision.

Speaking of going nowhere I was amused this week with some horrendous vehicles on the road, one chappie had a nice K registration Nova, kitted out in alloy wheels, blacked out side and rear windows (but with a give away non tinted front windscreen , tut tut) and an exhaust big enough to hide a bear in.

The racket from his exhaust was immense as he tried to impress the odd passer by with his handy foot work on the pedals, I probably upset him in my crappy 2 litre diesel when I hammered past and left him about 1/2 a mile behind in a mere couple of seconds.

He finally caught up at the next set of traffic lights and sat beside me revving his engine, exhaust burbling until they finally changed to green and gave the signal to GO GO GO.

My trusty (or is it Rusty) Avensis left him standing and he was overtaken by myself, at least 2 other cars behind me and an age old Land Rover that had seen more action than Tom Cruises bed sheets.
It was obviously well worth spending all that money on a car worth probably £250 on the open market.

On the way home tonight I saw the one thing that I absolutely totally hate, drivers who constantly turn to their passengers as they talk as if they need to face them or they won't hear them in a sealed car.
I've seen this many times and know how this leads to getting nowhere, once when I was in Leicester on a road called Melton Road I had some idiot behind me doing the same, constantly turning his head to one side to talk to his passenger, obviously he didn't see me put my brakes on at the red light and thumped into the rear of my car.

Had several close misses several other times so know it's stupid thing to do, in fact earlier this week someone in front of me was doing it big time and approaching a roundabout was too busy talking to his passenger (in the back so had his head turned right around to his rear) to see the large lorry that had just pulled out in front of him.

The words "emergency stop" came to mind but he was a little upset at the trucker giving him the dead eye for being an idiot and me laughing at him for being an idiot.

Anyway, the UK is going nowhere - nothing new there then...

No comments:

Post a Comment