Saturday 17 April 2010

One .... well twice then

I use Ubuntu One for sending files up and down over multiple PC's and to share with other people any large files that would be difficult to email or send by the notoriously slow MSN link.

One works great from my server and always has done, with my notebook I noticed it was a little hit and miss but never gave it much thought to fix it.

Anyway, I had a rough idea what to do but as with all these things your always mindful in case you mess something up. Ubuntu one is installed with Ubuntu 9.10 as standard so the package on the One website is not for 9.10.

I removed it using apt-get package manager but couldn't re-install as it said I had broken package dependencies, obviously I hadn't removed it all - one reason I wanted to remove it was that I originally installed it when I had 9.04 and it might be when I upgraded to 9.10 something didn't quite update or similar.

This website helped - http://www.ion-box.org/wiki/index.php/Reconfigure_or_Reinstall_ubuntu_one

I opened a terminal and pasted the following in...

pkill ubuntuone
sudo rm -rf ~/.share/local/ubuntuone rm -rf ~/.cache/ubuntuone rm -rf ~/.config/ubuntuone mv ~/Ubuntu\ One/ ~/Ubuntu\ One_old

Opened the gnome keyring (Applications/accessories/passwords and encryption keys), locate the entry for Ubuntuone token and delete that.

Then back in the terminal I pasted the last few commands.
sudo apt-get purge ubuntuone*
sudo apt-get install ubuntuone*

It was just a case then of launching the Ubuntu one client , authorizing the notebook to access the Ubuntu one area and it's sorted.
Files synched up straight away so all in all about a 3 minute fix, I can now send and synch up to 2gb of files over multiple PC's from anywhere in the world, it even synchronizes your evolution email contacts.

No comments:

Post a Comment