Thursday 31 October 2013

Clocking some miles up in BMW 116ED

Went Blackpool to see Illuminations, this was a very expensive trip in my Avensis as when I got there I didn't have enough fuel to get home - it's 125 miles there but I used more than half a tank in that.

This time we went in the BMW, I used less than 1/4 of a tank, I also drove about 1/3 of the way cross country to avoid Motorway roadworks, this would kill the fuel economy in the Avensis but the BMW shrugged it off.

Return trip was 75% cross country with only a small bit of motorway driving, I took the famous Snake Pass route back as I'd not been over it for years.

All in all 250 miles and 59.2 MPG so well impressed, I still had over 1/2 a tank left and so had more than enough for a weeks driving to work.

This week I've gone South Wales (Port Talbot), I still had more than enough fuel left to get there but topped up so I had a full tank.

This was Motorway, then M50 and down to the M4 and around the new Port Talbot Dock road which was a nice bit of road, someone's done their homework and laid a decent bit of tarmac - from there to my hotel was an easy drive.

Anyway, the trip there and back was 485 miles in all, I've still got 230 miles range remaining and got 60.1 MPG on the trip, trust me I was not hanging about so all the more reason to be pleased.

I'm settling into a routine of just saying 59 MPG, 60 MPG etc on every trip, in the end this is returning at least 59.3 MPG every time I pop onto a motorway but the urban driving is returning  a good 50 MPG or more which knocks socks off my previous cars, I've got to the point where I'm happy it's consistent on it's fuel consumption, some cars I've had needed gentle coaxing to get economy out of them, some simply didn't bother and others were beyond salvation.
With this I just get in and drive, enjoying the fact that even when I drive it hard I am getting a good return, I've had many cars in the low 30 MPG area and had to suffer this or drive below motorway speeds.
I still need to remind myself to use the stop/start and be a good boy at traffic lights but old habits die hard.

Oil consumption, so far I've used about 0.5 litre in 19000 miles which is brilliant, I've had one or two cars that were very good on oil consumption but I'm always impressed when I use as little as this, some have drank like Oliver Reed and needed an almost constant supply of the black stuff which is quite an expense when they need fully synthetic oil these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment