Sunday 19 July 2009

Der Eagle Ist Landen

Nothing I enjoy more than traveling back from somewhere when the entire atmosphere decides to collect above you and dump itself on you.

Traveling to Frankfurt was via a massive thunderstorm, so bad you could barely make out all the graffiti ridden buildings and walls as we trundled to the main station.
A mere 300 yards to the coach for Frankfurt Hahn left me soaked so I ducked (as everyone else did) into the South exit for the station, quite amusing to watch the Germans in front of me stand blocking the exit and ignoring peoples requests for them to move out the fecking way.

One bloke even decided to point at some things, almost taking a woman straight in the face with his hand, now most people would apologies and withdraw but nope, he kept his hand rigid forcing her to duck under his hand but she still couldn't get past him as he was blocking the only clear passage !!!

Anyway the coach finally departs for the 1hr 45 min drive to Frankfurt Hahn, the home of Ryan air - to be fair for 12 Euro it was good value, it's a long drive yourself via several motorways but the coach takes a short cut over some mountains and drops down towards Hahn.

A short lunch of French fries from the vendor outside (not bad either with a good dollop of sauce or mayo) for just over 2 euro, there's also a good cheap pizza and pretzel place so don't eat in the airport, get some grub just outside.

The flight back was best described as "frisky" and true to form we land in the UK to freezing temperatures and torrential rain.

Just time to whizz through customs etc and try to find some trains, fortunately I waited only 9 mins in Birmingham new street, strange I thought, this trains not on the schedule I printed - turns out that in true British style this trains actually an hour late !

Now my experience of late trains is they are always too short, too packed and too shitty.
This one didn't dissapoint, it was standing room only, late and rattled and buzzed all the way home.

Getting to Notts I found an hour wait to get the train home so hopped on the tram, ahh this is just like Germany - clean, fast and on time - quite amusing how to realise how bad our trains are.

So there we go, the Frankfurt trip ends - the timezone has screwed my body clock, I need a shit when i'm having breakfast but need my breakfast when I'm asleep - ah well.

No comments:

Post a Comment